Clean indoor air is important to your comfort, health, and happiness, and investing in a good air purifier will get you just that. While choosing the right model can be confusing thanks to the sheer volume of different models available, brands like Alen are definite standouts.
Alen is known for its lineup of customizable air purifiers. The FIT50 is their model designed for spaces that are up to 900 sq. ft. in area. If you’re looking for an air purifier for large spaces that’s fitted with smart sensors, you should definitely check this one out.
- Large coverage area
- Quiet operation
- Good CADR
- Longer HEPA filter life (9-12 months)
- Long warranty
- Energy efficient
- Customizable front panel
- Customizable HEPA filter
- Automatic fan speed adjustments depending on air quality
- Air quality indicator
- Lack of dedicated carbon filter
- Not a True HEPA filter
- Durability issues
The FIT50 is a part of Alencorp’s line of BreatheSmart air purifiers. Similarly designed to the more popular BreatheSmart Classic, the FIT50 also features a customizable front panel with various HEPA filter options from which you can choose: HEPA-Pure, HEPA-Silver, HEPA-FreshPlus, and HEPA-OdorCell.
Like the other air purifiers in the BreatheSmart line, the FIT50 comes with a pretty hefty price tag, which isn’t surprising considering it comes from a very reputable air purifier brand. One problem with this unit is that it doesn’t have a dedicated carbon filter, which means it probably won’t do as good a job at removing odors, VOCs, and chemical fumes — unless of course you choose the filter variant for those types of pollutants.
Overall, the FIT50 is an excellent model especially for those looking to cover larger areas. The customizable filter allows for a more personalized experience by letting you choose a specific air pollutant to target. In addition, you get a customizable front panel that makes it easier for your air purifier to blend in with your decor.
|Dimensions||16.75 x 22.25 x 10 inches|
|Area Coverage||900 sq. ft.|
|Noise Level||32.4 to 48.7 dB|
|Power Consumption||60 Watts (on highest speed)|
|Filter Type||Choose one among HEPA-Pure, HEPA-Silver, HEPA-FreshPlus, and HEPA-OdorCell|
|Timer Function||Yes (12-hour)|
- 4 HEPA Filter Choices – As previously mentioned, one of the main highlights of the FIT50 is that you can choose from four different types of HEPA filters: the HEPA-Pure filter removes allergens; the HEPA-Silver filter is for both bacteria and allergens; the HEPA-FreshPlus filter removes smoke, VOCs, and chemical fumes; and the HEPA-OdorCell filter neutralizes odors. This is great for people who want to target specific air quality problems in their home.
- Customizable Front Panel – Like the BreatheSmart Classic, you can also choose from 14 different front panel designs depending on your preference.
- Laser Smart Sensor – The FIT50 uses a Laser Smart Sensor that detects airborne particles down to 0.3 microns in size and communicates that information to the air quality indicator, which changes color accordingly. Red denotes poor air quality while blue denotes good air quality.
- On/Off Ionizer Feature – The FIT50 comes with an optional ionizer that clumps air pollutants like dust together to make the air filtration process easier.
- Filter Change Indicator – The filter change indicator lets you know when it’s time to switch out your HEPA filter for a new one. On average, the HEPA filter will last anywhere between 9 and 12 months if the air purifier is running 24/7.
- 4 Fan Speeds and Auto Mode – The FIT50 allows you to choose among 4 fan speeds ranging from a whisper-quiet 1 to a powerful turbo 4. You can also choose to run the unit on full auto mode wherein it automatically adjusts depending on the current air quality.
- Timer – The timer can be set to 2, 4, and 12 hours.
- Child-Lock Feature – One useful feature to this device is that it allows you to lock the settings so that curious children won’t be able to change them.
As mentioned above, you can choose among four different filter types when you buy the BreatheSmart FIT50. The HEPA-Pure filter is great for dust and allergens, while the HEPA-Silver filter is touted as an “all-around solution” as it also removes germs, mold, and asthma triggers. The HEPA-FreshPlus variant, meanwhile, is a chemical filter that specializes in smoke, VOC, and chemical fume removal. Lastly, HEPA-OdorCell is the filter of choice for odor neutralization.
Aside from the chosen filter, the FIT50 also has a built-in ionizer. This will enhance the cleaning performance of the air purifier as a whole. Ionizers help clean the air by releasing charged particles that attach to pollutants and weigh them down, thereby trapping them in the filter, as in the case of particle pollutants, or disrupting their molecules, as in the case of odors and germs.
While it may be disappointing for some that this model doesn’t come with a True HEPA filter, the FIT50 still has a promising approach to removing airborne contaminants. Also, both the air purifier itself and its replacement filters are rather pricey. The filters are long-lasting, though, with a lifespan of 8 to 12 months.
The FIT50’s front panel is customizable just like its filter. There are 14 colors for you to choose from, so it’s easy for the air purifier to match your interior. At 16.75” x 22.25” x 10”, it’s not the most compact air purifier, but its size is understandable given its high capacity. It’s also relatively heavy at 16 lbs., but the FIT50 has a dedicated handle if you’re planning to move it around your home frequently.
Warranty and Support
Alen boasts a lifetime guarantee for all of its air purifier models. This puts the FIT50 at a clear advantage because it increases the reliability of this air purifier. As long as you’ve used your air purifier only for personal purposes within the US or in Mexico, you’ll enjoy a replacement in the event the FIT50 breaks down.
The Alen BreatheSmart FIT50 is a popular large room air purifier that puts a premium on personalization by allowing you to choose a front panel design and as well as a HEPA filter that targets specific types of air pollutants. While it’s a pretty big investment upfront, Alen ensures you get your money’s worth with a powerful, high-quality air purifier backed by a lifetime warranty.
Honeywell HPA300 ReviewJuly 19, 2019
Honeywell AirGenius 5 HFD320 ReviewJuly 18, 2019
Oreck AIRPCS ReviewJune 7, 2019
Whirlpool Whispure WP1000 ReviewApril 11, 2019