- Top 10 Air Purifiers with Washable Filters Comparison
- Washable Filter Air Purifiers Reviews
- Buyer’s Guide:
- Maintenance Work Guidelines
- Brands We Recommend
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Related Posts
Keeping the filters of your air purifier clean means you will increase its performance and you will prevent impurities from reaching back into the air. The models packed with a washable filter are easier to maintain and will reduce your costs in the long run since you will no longer have to buy replacement filters. All in all, these units are a great investment to make.
Top 10 Air Purifiers with Washable Filters Comparison
Washable Filter Air Purifiers Reviews
Honeywell surpassed themselves in manufacturing spectacular air purifiers and this model is no exception. The washable prefilter manages to capture the majority of the impurities in the air and the iFD filter perfects the air cleaning. Although it has an ionizer, it does not produce harmful ozone. You will always know when to wash or vacuum it due to the filter check indicator. Being great at purifying areas measuring up to 170 square feet, you can rest assured knowing it will clean the air in your office or bedroom with ease. The 3 different cleaning levels you can choose from ensure maximum efficiency. Also, we cannot end the review without mentioning the fact that this model is certified by Energy Star. Therefore, it won’t add a lot to the electric bills to operate it.
- Impressive particle removal capabilities
- Energy Star certification
- LED touch control panel
- Modern tower design
- Can be set to oscillate
- No downsides to this product
2. Nectar HexaDuo
Although it is not one of the most renowned products in its niche, the HexaDuo delivers a surprising performance which truly impressed us, reason why we ranked it so high. Furthermore, the asking price, while it might not be the cheapest out there, is still quite reasonable, making it an affordable option to go for. Designed for use in spaces of up to 550 square feet, this air purifier features a washable electrostatic filter that makes maintenance work cheap – or better said free – and convenient. The reason why it is convenient to upkeep the filter is because it even allows you to clean in the dishwasher. In addition, it is tested and certified for the removal of some of the most dangerous bacteria and viruses that could linger in the air, more precisely against the Enterovirus, the swine influenza, and the influenza A virus.
- Produces less than 39 decibels when it is put on the lowest speed setting
- Features a convenient LED display which allows you to select the preferred brightness setting
- Weighs only 9.36 pounds – easy to move around the house as you like
- Comes with a cleaning brush that you can use when you clean the filter
- Measures 9.4 inches by 5.9 inches by 15.7 inches, thus being easy to find a permanent location for it
- There are no real downsides to this product
3. Honeywell HFD320 AirGenius5
The AirGenius5 is the pinnacle of excellence in terms of air purification. The QuietClean ifD technology it uses is what makes it so highly effective in its operation, boasting the capability of removing up to 99.9% of airborne particles as small as 0.3 microns. Designed for use in large areas of up to 250 square feet, it is a must-have for anyone who is conscious about their health. The 5 cleaning settings it puts at your disposal include general, sleep, allergen, germ, and max. It is very quiet when it operates and the oscillation feature it comes with delivers a wide and even coverage in the environment it is placed in. Another feature worth mentioning is the automatic shut-off timer you can set however you want from 2 to 12 hours. Additionally, this washable filter air purifier is Energy Star certified for the low consumption it boasts when operating.
- QuietClean ifD technology enables it to handle microscopic allergens
- CADR rated 170 for pollen, 161 for smoke, and 160 for dust
- Oscillation feature ensures a wide and even coverage
- Automatic shut-off timer can be set from 2 to 12 hours
- Useful germ reducing function
- Sleek design and accent lighting for a perfect ambiance
- Smart touchscreen controls allow a convenient and intuitive use
- There are no downsides to this product
What makes it a great option is the combination of three filters that increase its performance in removing air pollutants. The HEPA filter can collect impurities down to 0.03 microns and PlasmaWave technology breaks down odor particles, allergens, and other contaminants. The activated carbon prefilter is the washable one that can eliminate common household odors. With the Smart Sensor and Auto Mode feature, it adjusts its speed according to the air quality and there is also a Sleep mode for silent night operating. It is designed to do an excellent job at purifying the air in rooms measuring up to 360 square feet, so it should be more than enough to handle any room in your home. Best of all, it offers a great energy efficient operation, being certified even by Energy Star for how little it costs to run it.
- Clean filter sensors
- High CADR ratings
- HEPA filter removes small particles
- Sleep mode ensures discrete operation
- Removes unpleasant odors
- No downsides to this product
5. Oreck RAIRP-B
Although this is not the best performing air purifier on the market, it does a more than satisfying overall job. What makes it rank so high is out top is the fact that this washable filter purifier uses the innovative Truman Cell technology to capture and eliminate as many of the airborne allergens and bacteria lurking in the area it is placed in as possible. It passes indoor air through 6 different stages of filtration, thus you need not worry that it might do a faulty job. Another pleasing aspect is its low energy consumption, this product consuming as little as a light bulb does. To perfectly complement its performance comes the modern, interesting design which enables it to be a perfect fit in a modern décor. Overall, it is a product we greatly trust and hope you give it a chance too.
- Features Silence technology which guarantees a discrete operation
- Washable permanent filter greatly reduces maintenance costs
- Delivers one air change per hour in a large space
- When it requires cleaning, a red LED light turns on
- Allows you to add your desired fragrance to the indoor air with the Fragrance tray it features
- Not the best performance when it comes to airborne particles removal
6. Nectar HexaOne
As it comes at a low price and provides a wide area coverage of up to 250 square feet, it comes as no wonder that this purifier ranks so high in our top. It features an innovative 360-degree rotation that allows you to adjust air flow as needed. One of the main advantages presented by this washable filter purification device is the fact that, once every 2 weeks, it sound off an alarm that announces you that the time has come to clean the filter. It produces a mere 37 decibels when it operates, so you can confidently place it in the bedroom without worrying it might wake you up in the middle of the night. In addition, the product is accompanied by a 2-year warranty on parts and labor.
- 360-degree rotation allows you to adjust air flow as you like
- Produces only 37 decibels when it runs
- Announces you when the time comes to clean the filter
- Provides a hefty room coverage of up to 250 square feet
- Reasonably priced
- Doesn’t come with any smart features
7. Envion Therapure TPP240
No doubt about it, this is an excellent choice if you need a compact model which can handle large rooms. The semi-spheric HEPA filter is great for keeping allergens and contaminants away from the air you breathe and you can give it a quick rinse to keep it clean. In addition, the product comes with a UV light that kills dangerous bacteria and viruses in the air. With the touch of a button, you can also activate the ionizer which completes the air purification process. It is Energy Star certified due to the fact that it does not consume much energy when it runs. Know that it is designed to work at its peak when it is placed in medium-sized rooms. Also, know that it is backed up by the manufacturer for one year after you purchase it, a period of time during which it will be repaired free of charge.
- UV germicidal light
- Compact and modern tower design
- Good CADR ratings
- Recommended for medium and large rooms
- Ionizer with on/off button
- Noisy operation of top speed setting
8. Blue Pure 411
Destined to be used in spaces measuring from 100 to 175 square feet, and coming at quite an affordable price, this is one of the best picks you could go for. It delivers up to 5 air changes per hour, so you will constantly inhale clean air. It is CADR rated 105 for smoke, 120 for dust, and 120 for pollen, which makes it one of the most efficient air purification devices out there. Due to the filter replacement indicator it comes with, you won’t have to waste time guessing when you should replace the active carbon filter as you will be announced by the device. It is one of the quieter options out there, producing between 17 and 46 decibels, depending on the speed setting you select. In addition, it features the 360-degree air inlet which ensures an even airflow at all times.
- CADR rated 105 for smoke, 120 for dust, and 120 for pollen
- Delivers up to 5 air changes per hour
- Produces between 17 and 46 decibels when it operates
- Filter replacement indicator tells you when the active carbon filter needs to be changed
- 360-degree air inlet ensures an even, sufficient airflow
- Not as big of an area coverage as other air purifiers provide
9. Honeywell HFD-010 QuietClean
Honeywell makes another appearance in our top with the HFD-010 QuietClean model, a purifier which is both affordable and effective. It features a single filter which is washable and does not require to be replaced, thus there are no additional costs you have to worry about with it. Moreso, its highly energy efficient, consuming as little as a light bulb, so you won’t spend a lot of money on operating it. It is CADR rated 40 for tobacco smoke, 35 for dust, and 55 for pollen. Also, know it is designed for use in areas of up to 62 square feet, which makes it ideal for use in bedroom and nurseries. Additionally, the manufacturer backs it up during the first 5 years after you purchase it, so any defects which appear will be handled without any extra charges.
- Effective and rapid operation
- Filters fine particles
- Ultra-quiet operation
- Portable design
- Highly energy efficient
- Low CADR rating
This is a tabletop purifier which can be used in offices or small bedrooms. Despite the small size, it is a very powerful device that does not back down when having to remove harmful particles from the air. The permanent HEPA filter is great for collecting mold spores, dust mites, pollen, pet hair, and dander, and when it gets too clogged, you can easily vacuum it. The prefilter, on the other hand, can be washed in order to stay clean and at high filtering standards. Along with the ionizer that maximizes cleaning power, these filters do a great job in maintaining the air clean. Other aspects which make it a tempting purchase are the energy efficient operation and the fact that it is accompanied by a generous 3-year warranty.
- Compact size – perfect for nightstand
- Good CADR ratings
- Effective 3-stage purification
- Features HEPA filter
- Low energy consumption
- Small area coverage
Why It Is Worth the Investment
These air purifiers are, without a doubt, the most effective items to use for cleaning the air you breathe. They come in all shapes, sizes, and types, so you have plenty of options to pick from. Therefore, the question which arises is why buy a model with a washable air filter? The reason is very simple: for the convenience it provides. The other air purifiers come with cartridges which need to be replaced every once in a while, thus involving further costs, not to mention the fact that you need to look for a specific type of filter.
Every time you replace the filter, you need to find an identical one and some of them are very expensive or need to be replaced very often. The models with a washable air filter are easier to maintain as you can remove the media, wash and dry it, then put it back on. This way, you eliminate the impurities that have already been captured and to prolong the lifespan and the performance of the filter. This does not reduce the efficiency of the washable filter air purifier because it continues to retain impurities after being washed at the same rate it did before.
Maintenance Work Guidelines
These types of air purification devices are not only extremely effective at their task, but they are very convenient to use due to the fact that their filters can be washed and reused rather than replaced completely after a short while. But there are a lot of other things you can do to keep them in a top-notch shape, and in the following lines, we will show you exactly what you must do to keep the product up and running for as long as possible.
- Obviously, you have to regularly clean the filters of the purifier. What you must do is to take them out of the device and wash them using water. When they are completely dry, you can place them inside it and let it do its operation once again. Just make sure no more than a week passes before you check on them to see if they need to be cleaned or not, this way preventing a loss of performance caused by clogged filters.
- You have to pay increased attention when you position the air purifier with washable filters as well because it needs room to “breathe”. If there is not enough space around the device, its performance will be greatly affected and it won’t function properly, thus not being able to truly clear the air indoors of impurities because of the obstructions.
- Once in a while, you have to inspect the exterior carefully to see if there is any dust buildup on it. When it does appear, make sure you clean the device thoroughly with a cloth, otherwise, it might suffer damage and face a decay in performance.
- Just because you have a purifier, it does not mean you won’t have to dust ever again, but rather a big portion of your work will be handled by it. To make sure you will prolong the life of the device as much as possible, it is necessary for you to keep the area around it clean. This means you have to pick up dust bunnies yourself, helping the device perform better by focusing on allergens and impurities you cannot see but that lurk in the air.
Brands We Recommend
On all markets, regardless of the types of products that we are talking about, there are certain brands that are more recognizable than others due to the high quality of the products they release. When it comes to the production of air purifiers with washable filters, the companies that have managed to gather all the attention with the high-end systems they deliver are Winix, Envion, and Honeywell. Learn more about these prestigious brands from this section of the article.
Winix is the company responsible for the release of the 5500-2 model, the best washable filter air purifier at the moment. Not only this, but the company also designs and manufactures other types of useful household appliances like dehumidifiers and humidifiers. Also, they have a line of high-end True HEPA filters that are highly sought after for their effectiveness in removing even the smallest of airborne pollutants. Although it is not one of the oldest brands on the market, it is one of the most recognizable for sure, the fact that the company has locations in Korea, U.S.A., and Europe helping it become very popular with consumers of these products.
The Envion company takes great pride in the way its employees handle the production of air purifiers, paying attention to the smallest details in order to ensure customers will enjoy high-end air filtration systems that are truly reliable. The award-winning design of their products combined with the cutting edge technologies used in their manufacturing and with the fact that they are quite affordable has made Envion the go-to brand for a lot of people who care about the quality of the air indoors and who want to make a change for the better.
Chances are you already own a Honeywell appliance in your home, so you already know how reliable the products sold by this company are. Honeywell has a vast history behind it, the company receiving numerous awards for the excellence of the products it releases and for the overall astounding work ethic of the management and employees. Putting an accent on innovation and durability, it is easy to understand why most high-end washable filter air purifiers out there are manufactured by this company.
If you are smart about your money and you dislike having to change parts on the appliances you use, a washable filter air purification system is the right choice for you. Previously, we ranked, rated, and reviewed the best products in this niche, thus allowing you to directly compare the high-quality options out there to each other and more easily decide what is the right choice for you. Evidently, the Honeywell HFD-120-Q is the best option to go for as it not only features washable filters that you can reuse and spare money, but because it utilizes a 3-stage filtration process to eliminate impurities from the air, it can remove particles as small as 2 microns, and it is Energy Star certified for consuming little power when operating. Our personal favorite, the Winix 5500-2, is another option we strongly recommend you look into again as it is worth the investment. It has a high airborne particle removal rate of up to 99.97%, this high efficiency being delivered by its 3-stage air cleaning system, and it allows you to choose between 4 distinct operating speeds.
Frequently Asked Questions
What should I use to clean the filters and how often should I do it?
Cleaning the washable filters is easier than you could ever imagine as you only have to wash them with water, preferably lukewarm water. Although you could wash the filters when you deem it necessary, more precisely when they get dirty, we recommend you repeat this procedure once per week. This way, you prevent the air purifier from releasing dirt instead of capturing it along with other airborne pollutants.
Are washable filter air purifiers more efficient than regular air purifiers?
There is no way to generalize these two categories of air purifiers as you have to compare them individually. Some washable filter air purifiers are more efficient than regular air purifiers that you must change their filters once every few months, while other models are less performing. Therefore, as long as you make sure to invest in a quality air purifier that features washable filters, you are ensured to own a device that performs just as well if not better than a regular unit.
Do washable filter air purifiers helps save money in the long run?
The answer to this question is yes. Seeing how there are no filters to change as time passes, you are saved from making costly replacements. Instead of having to replace the filtration system featured by the air purification system once every 3-6 months, you can simply wash and reuse the same filter over and over again. This helps save hundreds of dollars in the long run, so it is indeed a money saving option to go with.