With the advancement of technology comes different air purification methods. Aside from the typical HEPA filter and carbon filter combo, air purifier manufacturers have found other ways to purify the air. One of the newer technologies being used by one of the biggest air purifier brands is ifD technology.
This technology has been patented by none other than Honeywell, one of the leading manufacturers of air purifiers. ifD stands for Intense Field Dielectric and is a new permanent filtration method that promises high efficiency and quiet performance. The AirGenius 5 HFD320 is one of Honeywell’s latest air purifiers which use this technology.
If this sounds like something you need at home, read our full review below!
- Slim, sleek design
- Small footprint
- Quiet operation
- Low maintenance
- Permanent ifD filter
- No filters to replace
- Energy Star certified
- Works well against odors
- Relatively expensive
- Small room coverage
- Makes a crackling noise while in use
The Honeywell AirGenius 5 HFD320 is a sleek tower-type air purifier rated to cover up to 250 sq. ft. of space. Its air purification system is relatively straightforward. You can choose between two pre-filters (washable foam pre-filter and an odor-reducing pre-filter) and the device also uses a patented ifD filter.
Unsurprisingly, such technology doesn’t come cheap so don’t be surprised that the AirGenius 5 costs a little more than other air purifiers with the same specifications. Speaking of specifications, the AiGenius 5’s small room coverage is its biggest disadvantage. On top of that, users have complained of a loud crackling noise coming from the device as it works.
In its defense, however, the AirGenius 5 has a number of redeeming qualities. First of all, it has an excellent space-saving form ideal for small homes. Because it uses ifD technology, it also operates significantly quietly and doesn’t require filter changes. In addition, you can count on the AirGenius 5 to effectively rid your home of stubborn air pollutants such as odors, smoke, and fumes.
|Dimensions||9.9 x 9.7 x 26.8 inches|
|Area Coverage||250 sq. ft.|
|CADR for Smoke||161|
|CADR for Pollen||170|
|CADR for Dust||160|
|Filter Type||Pre-filter (choose from washable foam pre-filter or odor-reducing pre-filter) + Electrostatic ifD filter|
|Control Panel||Touchscreen Controls|
Features and Benefits
- Permanent ifD electrostatic filter – One of the main highlights of the AirGenius 5 is that it uses a permanent ifD filter which is electrically charged to attract air pollutants and trap them in its complex, honeycomb-like structure. This allows the AirGenius 5 to rely less on its fan and work more quietly.
- No filter replacements – The AirGenius 5 works with all-permanent filters which don’t need to be replaced, allowing you more long-term savings.
- 5 fan speeds – The AirGenius 5 works with 5 fan speeds: sleep, germ, allergen, general, and max. Simply choose one depending on your needs.
- Accent lighting with different levels – You can dim or brighten the control panel lights as you prefer. This feature is particularly useful for those looking to use the air purifier at night.
- Auto off timer – You can set the AirGenius 5 to run for 2 to 12 hours and it will shut off automatically once the time is up.
- Oscillation – A unique feature of the AirGenius 5 is that it oscillates, something that most air purifiers don’t normally do. This allows for better airflow and makes it easier for the air purifier to catch pollutants.
- Check filter indicator – The check filter indicator lets you know when it’s time to clean your filters. It also serves as a monitor for your filters and lets you know how your filters are doing.
There’s no denying that The AirGenius 5 is one of Honeywell’s most sophisticated air purifiers, boasting an array of features unprecedented in Honeywell air purifiers.These features help justify the AirGenius 5’s price in lieu of its small room coverage capacity, capped at 250 sq. ft.
However, the AirGenius 5 performance is impressive, especially against odors and smoke. Its variable fan speeds are useful, too, albeit slightly confusing because of all the different names. Its oscillating feature allows for better airflow and ensures maximum distribution of clean air throughout your home. Despite its relatively steep price tag, the AirGenius 5 makes up for it by giving you an impressive performance, a bevy of features, and a stunning form.
Easily one of the most wonderful things about the AirGenius 5 is its design. Standing at 26.8 inches high and weighing roughly 9 lbs, it’s as sleek as tower air purifiers get. On the outside, it has a unique grille-like design, and up top, it features a cutting-edge touchscreen panel that tells you everything you need to know about your air purifier.
Warranty and Support
The AirGenius 5 is backed by a 5-year warranty from Honeywell. While under warranty, you can have your unit repaired or replace if there are any defects in workmanship. However, the warranty will not cover any damages caused by abusive, commercial, or incorrect use of the product. Any damage that results from any attempt to repair the unit not in accordance to the instruction manual is also not covered by the warranty.
The AirGenius 5 is a cutting-edge tower air purifier best suited for use in small to medium-sized rooms. While it does have a relatively steep price tag, it makes up for it in its impressive performance against odors and fumes as well as having an array of useful features. If you’re looking for a quiet, sleek, and powerful air purifier to fight odors at home, the AirGenius 5 comes highly recommended.